Skip to main content

Period Self-care

“Cramps…more like angry little ninjas inside you trying to kill you.”
- Unknown




Anybody else struggle with the worst period pain?
In my late teens I struggled to the point that I would throw up every period and have some diarrhoea, sorry TMI. I always felt like I was going to faint and I couldn’t go to school. I would feel this way even with medication. I was also at my lowest weight.

Over the years, my pain has subsided but it’s not that the pain has gone. I’ve learned how to take control. 

Here are ways I learned to take back that control.

Ibuprofen: I’m not a huge fan on relying on medication, but in my own experience I actually need medication to feel somewhat normal. I try to limit the ibuprofen to the first 3 days of my period when the pain is unbearable. Ibuprofen is actually a lifesaver and it takes my pain from 100% to about 30%.

Hot water bottle: Another lifesaver! Using one gives so much relief whether you place it on your stomach or back. Either way, the warmth is soothing to any pain.

Low intensity exercise: It’s good to continue the routine of exercise during your period. However, you don’t have the same level of energy during the menstrual cycle so it’s okay to keep it simple. Attend to your body’s energy levels, if you don’t have the energy don’t push yourself too hard.

Snacks: My period is the only time I allow myself to give into cravings. My period is my cheat week. During that time I know I won’t have the energy to cook so I allow myself to order takeaway and eat a couple of cookies. The trick is to keep this routine for only 3-4 of the period. And if your period is shorter then 2 days of cheating.

Laying in bed watching films and binging television shows: The best self-care during my period is laying down and catching up with any show I’m currently watching and watching films all day. If you have the chance to do this then do it, it is so amazing to be able to lay down and get distracted from the pain. I don’t always have this chance due to work but when I do, I absolutely love it.

If you’re on your period give these a try and take care of yourself. If you’re not on you’re period, then lucky you.

Don’t forget to take it easy during your menstrual cycle.

Love,
Imaan xx

Comments